Blog Image

Blog Image

Sunday, May 18, 2014

Thoughts on Graduation

"The people. Definitely the people."

Throughout the week leading up to graduation, I had the opportunity to meet up with many of my classmates. Among other questions, I asked each of them what, above all else, would they would miss most from their time in the Master of Divinity program at the University of Notre Dame. And their response?

"The people. Definitely the people." 

I echo these sentiments. Of course, I am immensely grateful for the superb academic education I have received throughout these past three years. Faith truly does seek  understanding within the Notre Dame Department of Theology. Also, enrollment in the M.Div. program has demanded my full and conscientious participation in spiritual and human growth and formation. For all of this, I am most grateful. Truly, I have been blessed with quite an educational and formative experience!

Yet, I was perhaps most deeply impacted by all the people I have met during my time in the program. In markedly different ways, each person has reflected the face of Jesus Christ to me. I think of all those who have shaped me during these past three years such as the community of M.Div. classmates who have become dear friends; I recall the people I served in my various ministry placements, all of whom ministered to me as well; there were many holy and thoughtful mentors and advisers from Notre Dame; and as always, many family members and friends back home supported me from afar. The list goes on and on!

There is great excitement and anticipation for me as I move on to the next chapter in my life. However, I know I would never have graduated with a Masters of Divinity degree from Notre Dame without all those people who helped me, guided me, and loved me. Whether later today or years down the road, I know if I am asked what I miss most about this experience, I will always answer: "The people. Definitely the people."

May God bless the Class of 2014 and all loved ones!

University of Notre Dame, Master of Divinity program, Class of 2014
(recent graduates with director, formators, and Bishop Kevin Rhoades)
 


No comments:

Post a Comment