Blog Image

Blog Image

Sunday, May 4, 2014

"My life is ruined...for the better"

These final days before graduation have a way of making seniors become deeply introspective. Yesterday, I had the privilege of walking through campus with "Joe," a senior who lives in the undergraduate dormitory where I currently work. As the two of us traveled past the campus quads, my companion recalled his work during the previous summer with the Notre Dame VISION conference.

Joe spoke of his role as a mentor to high school students who were attending the University of Notre Dame in the summer months for the VISION conference. Their engagement in prayer, discernment, and discipleship greatly impacted Joe's own personal spiritual journey:

"I realized that these high school kids had integrated their faith into all aspects of their lives. And I realized just how little I lived out my own faith life outside of church. This VISION experience made me rethink everything."

"How so?" I asked. 

"Everything has changed," he responded. "I had planned on getting a job after graduating, but I realized I wasn't passionate about that line of work anymore so instead, I'll be taking time off after graduation. No grad school either. Also, I wasn't in a healthy relationship, so I ended that too."

Joe then paused for a moment and a smile crossed his face. "My life is ruined...for the better."

My conversation with this wise senior reminded me of the two disciples who were on the road to Emmaus.
It seemed as if everything was ruined for the disciples in the aftermath of Jesus' crucifixion. They could not see beyond the pain of those days: Jesus was betrayed, he was executed, and his body was now missing. The two companions could not see beyond this apparent ruin.  

Yet, in the midst of their conversation, Jesus appears to the disciples on their way to Emmaus. His interpretation of these events in light of the Scriptures moved their hearts. And the eyes of the disciples were opened to see Jesus' Presence among them as they shared in the Eucharistic bread. After that encounter, the two disciples rushed back to Jerusalem to share the Good News. Their sorrow was removed and in its place was planted the joy of the Gospel.

Jesus is alive! Jesus is present in the Word and in the breaking of the bread! When we encounter Jesus, our hearts burn within us and we see with the eyes of faith. When we encounter Jesus, we are forever changed.

Yes, when we encounter Jesus, our old ways of life will be ruined...for the better. 

No comments:

Post a Comment