Blog Image

Blog Image

Monday, May 5, 2014

Oprah and St. Irenaeus

Have you been to Starbucks lately? If so, your coffee or tea may have had a cardboard sleeve with an Oprah quote on it...(I also would have been okay with finding keys to a new car in my coffee).

The other day, I read the following quote attributed to Oprah on the sleeve of my coffee cup: "You are here not to shrink down to less but to blossom into more of who you really are."
This saying reminded me of what Saint Irenaeus of Lyons wrote in the 2nd century: "The glory of God is the human person fully alive."


We give glory to God by becoming the best versions of ourselves! God gives us all unique and beautiful gifts, talents, and identities to share with the world. Our world is all the richer when each of us lives out our individual calling and blossoms as a child of God.



I'm not sure if the 'Queen of Talk' is familiar with the theological writings of St. Irenaeus. 
Who knows?! Maybe one day we will find Irenaeus' works on the Oprah Book Club list!


No comments:

Post a Comment