Blog Image

Blog Image

Wednesday, July 27, 2016

WYD Krakow: Day 4

"Today," quoted the nun from the Congegation of the Sisters of Our Lady of Mercy, "today is the day of mercy.  Now is the time for mercy!"

This sister, from the same religious order as Saint Faustina, reminded those of us gathered in the chapel of adoration at the Krakow Arena that Jesus is the well-spring of mercy. In Jesus alone do we encounter mercy. Together, a massive group of pilgrims then prayed the Chaplet of Divine Mercy, reciting over and over again: "have mercy on us and on the whole world."

Even now, as I read various depressing and horrific headlines in the news, I still feel great hope in this message of mercy. Millions of peaceful pilgrims are converging upon Krakow to discover once again the saving power of God's mercy. I am reminded of my own daily need of the Lord's gentle compassion and mercy. I then am called to respond, to go and do likewise.

This isn't simply a pious thought, but a real challenge! When I am hungry, irritable, and waiting in line for food amongst thousands of disorganized pilgrims, how do I express mercy? I have missed many opportunities to be the face of God's mercy for others during this pilgrimage.

Still, there is no time to delay...the time for mercy is now!

2 comments:

  1. A wonderful thought (Mercy) but also we must teach our youth to be vigilant in the face of a troubled world

    ReplyDelete
  2. A wonderful thought (Mercy) but also we must teach our youth to be vigilant in the face of a troubled world

    ReplyDelete