Blog Image

Blog Image

Tuesday, March 24, 2020

Who's Your Hero?

Hopefully, each of us can look to certain individuals as exemplars of virtue. I often seek out the example of these heroes, learning ways in which I can become more faithful, patient, loving, and generous.

One of my heroes includes Oscar Romero of El Salvador. Romero was named archbishop of San Salvador in 1977 during a period of increasing violence, terrorism, and civil war. It was believed that Romero would be a safe choice as archbishop, passively sitting by while those with economic, political, and military power continued to oppress the poor and marginalized populations. However, Romero underwent a conversion of heart, especially after his friend Padre Rutilio Grande, S.J. was killed.

For nearly three years, Oscar Romero spoke truth to power. Romero challenged the oppression caused by unjust government policies and economic practices. He condemned the violence of both sides, advocating instead for the "violence of love" as demonstrated by Jesus. MonseƱor Romero sided with the weak and the helpless. Romero was, in turn, assassinated on March 24, 1980 as he celebrated the Eucharist.

I look to Saint Oscar Romero to inspire me, that I might always be open to a change of heart. I hope that I can be as courageous as San Oscar, standing up for the poor, the oppressed, and the marginalized. I seek to be faithful to my own vocational calling and generous with my life. I ask the holy bishop-martyr of San Salvador to renew the fire of justice, peace, and love within me.

There are many such role models and examples in our world today. So, I invite you to comment on this post, answering the following questions: Who's your hero? Why?

No comments:

Post a Comment