Blog Image

Blog Image

Tuesday, November 22, 2016

War is Hell

Last Saturday, I found myself with several hours to kill before a planned engagement later in the day. On a whim, I decided to go to the nearby movie theater to see what might be playing. As I arrived to the theater, I learned that the movie "Hacksaw Ridge" would be starting in five minutes. I had read several positive reviews for this Mel Gibson war movie and decided to watch it.

The movie itself was quite moving. I would recommend watching it, or at least researching the true story of Desmond Doss. As an Army medic, Doss courageously saved 75 wounded soldiers from the battlefields of Okinawa during World War II, all the while never carrying a rifle due to religious reasons. "Hacksaw Ridge" is indeed a story of bravery, especially the courage of maintaining one's conscience in the face of overwhelming pressure and personal abuse.

I experienced several emotions while watching this film. Certainly, I found myself in awe at the tremendous sacrifices made by soldiers, whether in World War II or in today's various conflicts throughout the world.

There was another emotion, however, that I experienced, one that sat deep within and was quite vitriolic. Throughout the movie, I felt a deep disgust for war. There is no other way to say it.
WAR IS HELL. Period.

Image result for little boy aleppo
One of the many innocent victims of war.
When individuals must use their energy and will to kill in order to protect others from being killed, this is hell. When diplomacy and dialogue between nation-states breaks down and ideologies emerge which try to eradicate entire populations of people, this is hell. When innocent civilians, especially children, are the victims of the atrocities of war, this is hell. When men and women are mutilated or subjected to torture, and human rights are violated, this is hell.

Yet again, we are in the midst of another World War. The battlefields span Afghanistan, Iraq, Syria, Ukraine, Central African Republic, Colombia, and on many other fronts. Innocent civilians are dying. Blood is being spilled. Brother kills brother. We have not learned our lesson. The atrocities continue to grow. The cries grow louder.

War is hell.

No comments:

Post a Comment